November 29, 2010
Originally constructed in 1894, the St. Louis Union Station was at one time the largest passenger train station in the world. Architect Theodore C. Link designed the Union Station in the Romanesque Revival style, borrowing heavily from the motifs popularized by H. H. Richardson during the 1870s and 1880s. The monumental facade of the headhouse grandly displays its round turrets, ornamented fenestration, intricately carved stone features, and the impressive clock tower. In 1970, the station was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Today, the station is a National Historic Landmark property, the highest honor that can be bestowed on a historic property.